Thursday, March 17, 2011

Row Robin 2011

I've joined a sweet and talented group of quilters from the QB to make a quilt - row robin style.  I've decided that my quilt will be mardi gras themed and will be a Christmas/late wedding gift for my step brother and his new bride.  He is in the army and they are currently stationed in New Orleans, so I thought the theme would be fun and appropriate.  I made my mardi gras themed row and sent it on to the next quilter in the group in February.  She has two months to make a row, add it to my quilt top, and send it on to the next person.  There are five of us in the group, so five rows in each person's quilt top.  Here is my first row to the mardi gras quilt:

I pieced spider web blocks and let them flow into appliqued "mardi gras beads."

A close up of the appliqued section.
In February, I also received someone else's first row.  Her theme is "Favorite Things" and each of the blocks in her row has some personal significance to her - a very sweet and pretty row.  I added to it by using some of my favorite batik fabrics in variations of friendship stars - I thought that would be appropriate for our group since our group name is "Making Friends Row by Row."  Here is "Favorite Things" with my friendship stars added on the left:

Favorite Things - two rows big.

My friendship star addition, by itself.
The next top I get to work on has a "Something Southwestern" theme - and I have lots of ideas involving coyotes and cacti!  I have about another month to wait until I get to work on that one though.  In the meantime - I'm dying to know what is going on with my row!  I got a few sneak peeks and it looked very exciting...

1 comment:

  1. Hi, luv,
    I followed your link, because of the "Affairs of the Heart applique project. I am very much a newbie - funny to say because I am really 81 ! LOL I was looking at blocks. I want to enlarge mine too, I was thinking 8.5" but since you mentioned larger even up to 12" I will try just drawing out some to see how they come out.
    Can't stand using monofilament. I suspect that over time it might oxidize and break up like old fishline does. Actually, with all the twisting and turning under the machine, hand stitching is really faster! What I am doing is thanking you for your help, even though you didn't even know you were until now! LOL again!
    Jeannie
    Why do you make it so hard to send this?
    It won't accept my !D

    ReplyDelete