Saturday, March 12, 2011

Penny Haren's Pieced Applique

I've been working through this book with a very nice group of online pals from QuiltingBoard.com.


The technique that PH uses in her book basically involves stiff templates and lots of glue and I have found it easy to use and to get really precise applique.  These blocks are each 6 1/2".  My plan is to sash them, put a simple border around them and make a wall-hanging.  There are instructions in the book for putting them into a star setting and making them into 12" blocks for a bed quilt, but I really like my little blocks and think I want to look at them on the wall.

Here are the blocks that I have so far:


That first block isn't actually sewn down.  It originally had a red center, but I don't think the dark red center has enough contrast with the brown, so I'm doing it over.  Someone on the QB had the great idea to use the original block for a pillow so that it doesn't go to waste.  I think I'm going to do that. It will give me the chance to try the star setting from the book, which I wouldn't otherwise get to do.

We have a very well-thought out schedule for completing these blocks as a group.  I, however, am going to start working ahead of the schedule (Shhhh.... don't tell the ladies on the QB) since we are moving this summer and ultimately I don't want to fall behind.  Look for a flurry of cute little blocks soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment