Friday, March 18, 2011

Rising Star and Prosperity

I finished a few more Penny Haren applique blocks tonight.  I'm working a little bit ahead of the schedule that the group on the QB is using, but it's only because we're moving in June and I want to be ahead so I won't fall behind.

The first block is called "Rising Star" and I hate it.  My loathing shows. Typically these Penny Haren blocks require that you piece a small foundation block (I'm doing 6" blocks) and then glue your templates to your fabric for the applique and glue your applique pieces to the foundation.  Stitch, soak to remove the glue and templates and done.  I was really annoyed with this block - Piecing this block required that I complete the middle portion, applique and all, and then piece it into the outer portion.  I didn't like having to applique, soak out the templates and then finish sewing the foundation, stitch and soak again.   Most of the blocks would be too hard to do traditionally.  This one I could have totally done (and actually have done larger versions) using half-square triangles. And it is so plain looking.  I feel like I need to applique something else in the middle.  Not enough bang for my buck here.  I can tell I wasn't enjoying this one - my points are all crooked and I didn't care to do them over!  Not like me at all...

Rising Star - Bleh

The next block made me much happier.  I pieced the foundation, I prepared the applique, I stitched, soaked and voila!  I was done!  I think the block looks much nicer too.  This block is called "Prosperity."

Prosperity
Here are my first 8 blocks all together.  I like them!  I still dislike Rising Star immensely.  I need to remember that it is just one little 6" block in the larger group and I should just let it go...


No comments:

Post a Comment