Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I guess I just like things to take longer...

I made an executive decision last night.

While trying to machine stitch my second "Baby Love" quilt block I was increasingly frustrated because I couldn't get my machine applique to look nice.  Even using invisible thread and size 70 topstitching needles,  all I see is unsightly needle holes.  And I don't like the idea of all that monofilament holding my daughter's quilt together anyway.  I tried a satin stitch with matching threads, which I actually liked better - but not really.

So, even though this will be a quilt for a child, I'm going to do it by hand.  In my frustration, I started just sewing down my applique pieces by hand and it looked so much nicer!  And truly invisible!  I'm not going to do needle turn - I'm doing that on my tile quilt and that is enough of that.  I'm going to continue to use plastic templates and starch to prepare the applique pieces; I'm going to continue to use Elmer's school glue to paste them down on the background, but then I'm going to hand stitch.

So basically, I made two more practice blocks!  I'm going to have to do the first block over - even though the needle holes weren't as bad on it, and obviously I'm going to have to re-prepare block number two.

Whatever - I've got nothing better to do anyway.  We're only selling our house and moving in less than two months.  Oh, and don't forget the trip to Italy in May.  Yeah, nothing better to do.

I did sandwich Peter's dinosaur quilt last night.  The minky shed all over the place when I cut it but the cleaning people are coming today.  And, we got an offer on our house yesterday, so hopefully that will work out and clean minkyless floors won't matter so much anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment